I like to move it, move it

1 Jul

If I ever say “Soon, I promise,” again, correct me.  Tell me that I mean “Soon, I hope.”  Or “Soon, I’ll try.”  Or “Soon, so long as nothing interesting is on TV.” 

After all, doesn’t the bible say, “Let your yes mean yes and your no mean no.”  

Anyway, that’s mostly to say that I’m sorry and that I always wait so long to write a new post.  But, in my defense, some big changes have been happening since I last wrote.  BIG changes.

Here’s a hint:


Did you see it?  Here’s a closer hint.


Got it now?  That’s right…we sold our house.  I know what you’re thinking, “What?!?!?  You just bought that house!  Why would you sell it now?”  Well, I’ll try to answer you the best I can.

Steve and I both really liked Boy Blue when we bought it.  And we still like it today.  But when we bought, we bought in a bit of a down market and at a time of the year when not a lot of houses were available.  So Boy Blue ended up being, not the best house for us, but the best house available to us.  But we were excited about it and hopeful about it, despite its flaws.

Fast forward a few months and some of those flaws became more and more obvious and more and more frustrating.  Things that we knew would bother us, such as having 1100 finished square feet of basement that we didn’t use, really started to get on our nerves.  Why were we paying a mortgage and taxes for space that we couldn’t use now and couldn’t envision ourselves using on a regular basis even if we had five kids?  And things that we didn’t know would bother us, like having two furnaces that both need maintenance multiple times a year, really started to get on our nerves.  The question of “why are we still in this house” kept coming up.  So, we decided to look at the option of selling.

We didn’t have a plan to sell this year.  We looked at options for selling in two years or three or five.  But when we called our Realtor to find out what his opinion on the subject was, he thought we should put our house on the market right away.  No use continuing to pay for a house you don’t want, he said.  And the market is stable from where we bought, he told us.  Not to mention that it’s still an incredible time to buy. 

So, we took the plunge and listed the house (after a week’s worth of tearing down more wallpaper, repainting, fixing some windows, and other minor projects).  We listed the house at a fair market price that would have made us just a little bit of money.  In the first weekend on the market, we had 11 showings.  The following Wednesday, we had another showing and that Friday we had an offer.   We are so blessed to have our house sell after only 8 days on the market.  Granted, it took a little more time to finish the inspection and get signed papers, but within two weeks everything was complete.

At that point, we had to begin a rapid search for a new home.  We only had about two months to find a place so we immediately began the search.  Within a few days, our Realtor had sent the links to over 200 houses for us to look at.  We narrowed down our possibilities to under 30 and split them up into two LONG days of house hunting. 

During those first days, we saw some contenders but nothing that we felt comfortable putting an offer on.  We waited, knowing that we could go back to the homes we saw if nothing else panned out.  A few days later, we saw another batch of houses and this time saw one that we felt would work for us.  We went home that night with a plan to go back to the house the next day to look at it again and to write an offer.

The next day we requested to see two more houses that had just come on the market.  They both looked like nice options and we just wanted to be thorough before we saw the house we wanted to put an offer on.  The first house was okay.  It was a foreclosure so it needed some work but the part that really turned us off was that it was on a corner lot and across the street was a school.  We thought it would get a lot of traffic and that’s not something we wanted to deal with.  The second house we saw was a nice contender.  It was similar to the house we wanted to put an offer on, though set up slightly differently.  We kept it in mind, but decided to move on to the house we wanted. 

But our second trip to that house wasn’t what we wanted it to be.  The house was still nice and we still liked it as an option but on our second trip, we took a closer look at the neighborhood and realized it wasn’t exactly what we wanted.  We decided to head home for the night and think about our options.

The next day, we decided that the right house to make on offer on was the second house we’d seen the day prior, the nice contender that we didn’t want to put an offer on till we saw the other house again.  We wrote up an offer and submitted it on a Friday morning.  The sellers made us wait the entire weekend before submitting a counter offer to us.  We replied with another counter offer and, again, waited.  Eventually they came back with a take it or leave it offer.  We took it.  We’re working out the details of the inspection right now but at the end of July, we’ll be moving in here:


So, that’s why we’re moving.  We’ll give you more details on the new house once we get in there.  We’ll also try to fill you in on what we’ve done to this house since our last update.  Until then, here’s a picture of my baby napping with his toys. 





Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: